With colder weather and storm season approaching, National Grid is encouraging customers to proactively prepare their homes and businesses for the weeks and months ahead. Every day, National Grid works to ensure that customers receive the safest and most reliable energy service possible. National Grid has secured sufficient natural gas supplies to keep customers warm this winter, and is continuously inspecting, investing in, and upgrading critical infrastructure, performing vegetation management services to keep power lines clear of obstructions, and preparing our crews to respond to major weather events.
Before inclement weather brings challenges to the region, National Grid is offering customers the following tips and reminders:
- People who depend on electric-powered life support equipment, such as a respirator, should let National Grid know. To register as a life support customer, call the company’s Customer Service Center at 1-800-322-3223.
Prepare your home:
- Customers with generators are encouraged to conduct regular maintenance checks to ensure the generator is operating safely.
- If applicable, schedule a home’s furnace tune-up to ensure it is in proper working order, and ensure it and any water heaters are properly vented.
- Test smoke and carbon monoxide detectors and change the batteries every year.
- Remove dead or rotting branches on trees.
- Schedule a free Mass Save home energy assessment to learn ways to reduce winter energy use. Call 888-774-3167 to schedule an appointment.
Prepare a winter emergency kit in the event of a major storm with the following items:
- Water – the American Red Cross recommends one gallon of water per person per day.
- Food – at least a three-day supply of non-perishable food, plus a can opener.
- Battery-powered or hand crank radio.
- Flashlight and extra batteries.
- First-aid kit.
- Moist towelettes, garbage bags and plastic ties for personal sanitation.
- Personal hygiene supplies.
- Extra cash.
- Cell phone with chargers.
- Emergency contact numbers.
Other items to consider may be found on the National Grid website here.
Customers Should Stay Connected:
- Report power outages at www.nationalgridus.com or call 1-800-465-1212.
- Use a mobile device to track outage information and storm-related safety tips through National Grid’s mobile site accessible at www.ngrid.com/mobile.
- Like National Grid on Facebook and follow on Twitter and Instagram; National Grid posts all the latest storm and restoration updates.
- Track outages and estimated restoration times at www.nationalgridus.com/outage-central.
- Make sure National Grid has updated email addresses and phone numbers on file. Update contact information at ngrid.com. Click on sign in/register.
To stay connected during storms and outages, text to 64743 using any of the below commands.
- REG to sign up for text alerts
- OUT to report an outage
- SUM followed by your town, county, or state to get a summary of outages in your area
- HELP for the full list of commands
Additional safety information may be found at https://www.nationalgridus.com/MA-Home/Storm-Safety/