the team at the Department of Conservation and Recreation (DCR) is working hard to recruit lifeguards and pool and waterfront supervisors for the 2023 summer season.
The Healey-Driscoll administration recently announced incentives to motivate early commitments from our lifeguard, pool, and waterfront staff:
- Increased signing bonuses up to $1,250 to qualified lifeguards for the 2023 season
- A salary increase of $1/hour earning Lifeguards and Head Lifeguards $22-$23 per hour and Waterfront Supervisors and Pool Managers $26 - $27 per hour.
- Increase in salary for all lifeguards and waterfront and pool supervisors.
- Sign on bonuses including early sign-on bonus of $500 offered to candidates who submit a complete employment application for the summer season by Monday, May 1, 2023. or a bonus of $250 will be offered to candidates who submit a complete employment application between May 2 and July 1, 2023.
- $500 retention bonus to lifeguards in good standing who continue to work for the department through August 20, 2023. Those that work through September 4, 2023 will receive an additional $250 bonus.
Joining DCR as a lifeguard provides an excellent opportunity for many students, young adults, and others to join the workforce each summer and to work in locations that are regionally accessible.
In order to be considered, applicants must be at least 16 years of age by time of employment, complete lifeguard training, and must be certified in first aid and CPR. DCR offers free training classes and certification to lifeguards who commit prior to the opening of designated swimming areas. More information can be found at mass.gov/lifeguards.